Los Angeles Muscle Walk!!!
Event Date: March 1, 2014
Event Time: 8am - 2pm
Event Location: Crystal Springs Picnic Area at Griffith Park
For every dollar you raise or donate, 100 percent goes directly to support the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Every step you take will help people right in your area who are living with muscle disease. When you reach your fundraising goal and the finish line of your MDA Muscle Walk, every one of your nearly 650 muscles will feel fantastic — we guarantee it.
While you’re at it, download the Muscle Walk Facebook application and get started spreading the word about why you are walking in the Muscle Walk!
Thanks to my guest Megan Berry w/the MDA!
About the Weingart Center
Let us tell you about the Weingart Center… The Weingart Center is a non-profit comprehensive human services organization that was established in 1983 after recognizing that widespread homelessness was a new phenomenon facing the city of Los Angeles. Downtown civic leaders knew that combating the growing, serious problem would require innovative methods. The Weingart Center (WCA), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, has become that innovative agency— the Weingart Center provides homeless individuals with the basic skills necessary to stabilize their lives, secure income and find permanent housing.
Our organization’s mission is to empower and transform lives by delivering innovative solutions to combat poverty and break the cycle of homelessness. Everyday we get closer to our goal, transitioning homeless men and women from street life to self-sufficiency through a variety of programs and services, such as: Workforce Development, Mental Health & Substance Abuse Treatment, Case Management, Veterans Transition Housing, Women’s Renaissance, Re-entry Programs, and various other solutions.
Weingart Center Quick Facts
The Weingart Center:
- Serves and assists 3,000 individuals annually through our residential programs and 15,000 via our walk-in Resource Center
- Provides housing for 500+ homeless men and women daily
- Has three facilities including a walk-in resource center and a site dedicated to employment services
- Was established in 1983
- Uses 83% of all funds raised for creating, implementing and operating client services and programs
- Partners with organizations such as: Veteran’s Affairs, JWCH Institute, Inner City Law Center, CA Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, the Department of Social Services, and Beyond Shelter.
- Serves 225,000 healthy meals annually
- Has 75% male clients and 25% female clients
Thanks to my guest, the CEO of the Weingart Center Kevin Murray!