10 Facts About Father's Day
In honor of fathers everywhere, USA Today gives us 10 facts about Father's Day. Check out the list below, as well as the YouTube video...
1. Father's Day falls on every third Sunday in June.
2. There are more than 72.2 million dads in the United States.
3. Sonora Smart Dodd, who was raised by a widower, was inspired by Mother’s Day to seek out a day to honor fathers.
4. The first Father's Day took place on June 19, 1910 in Spokane.
5. President Richard Nixon proclaimed Father’s Day a federal holiday in 1972.
6. Father’s Day was almost canceled when a movement arose to establish a combined holiday known as Parents’ Day.
7. The necktie is consistently the most popular gift.
8. In parts of Europe and Latin America, fathers are celebrated on St. Joseph’s Day, which falls on March 19th.
9. In Thailand, the king’s birthday determines Father’s Day and is celebrated by donating blood and releasing captive animals.
10. According to Fortune Magazine, Americans will spend a record $16 billion on gifts for Father's Day this year.